Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Know when to walk away, or a Lucky "Break"

Back at the easel this week, and rethinking a few paintings I was working on. An interruption in the form of a broken right wrist gave me pause long enough to pin point some of my discomfort with two pieces I had been working on. Those breaks (no pun intended) are sometimes wonderful for my art. In the rush of day to day doings, trying to get my time in at the easel and still work, manage home, etc. I can become frustrated when something isn't "working" for me in a painting. Even when using all of the suggestions from artists before me, there are times when I wont "see" what I'm looking for. I think it has do do with the time I afford these things. I want it to fit in my schedule, and there are just times it has to effloresce in order to see the fullness of it. This takes time. I read some of Richard Schmid's first book, "Everything I Know About Painting," unfortunately out of print, and no library in my city carries it. I digress, in this book he describes, in detail, his process from start to finish. Each work can take him up to six months. He totally affords himself whatever time he needs, weather prepping his canvas, or layering glaze and everything in between. It's beautiful, and seldom recognized as being a discipline itself. When I think of discipline and commitment and art I think, "paint every day, finish bodies of work, multi task!" Those things are great I suppose, and if you are an artist, will happen will manifest more as a bi product of the journey. I don't think it is a good way to approach art anymore. It will take as long as it takes. I have come to believe to give a piece of work the time it requires is to mature as an artist, perhaps taking art to a higher plane.
    

No comments: