Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Painting Character

It's almost time to paint my folks waiting at the bus stop! I can say with the utmost sincerity that I am thrilled. Really. Too often artist's are thought to only want to depict the kind of beauty put forth by societal norm. Nothing could be greater mistaken. I'm board to tears by standard beauty, and I think there are many artists that would applaud me for stating it. I can see why the assumption would be made, don"t get me wrong. Da Vinci's vitruvian man was probably the beginning of it all with the ideal proportion and all that. Fast forward to the whole kline "heroin chic" insanity (visual art tends to get lumped), and yeah, I understand where it all comes from, but let me tell you here and now that I love to depict the human form in all of it's amazing shapes and sizes! Women that look like WOMEN, hell yeah! A face that isn't so much handsome as interesting. Real people. The ones you ride the bus with and stand in line behind in the grocers. Those are the people I love to paint, and I'm bursting at the seems to mix the first tone of fleash for these three transit riders. Yes, yes, yes, it happens today! Here is where I left off last night. I added the reference photo so you can get an idea of the story this pic tells, but I'm jumping ahead too quickly. Thats conversation for another day.

No comments: