Tuesday, July 5, 2011

This might be contagious ..






I'm serious, art may be contagious. I can't tell you how many people have come down with this in just a few months! At the time I don't really think about it, but when someone learns I'm an artist they ask questions like, what inspires me(life, people, ideas), how much time I devote to my art(as much as possible), my education (eclectic), etc. and almost everyone that inquires shares with me that they would love to make art too. (I like to think of these people as flashers, under their work-a-day garb is this colorful, bright being that they are flashing me a glimpse of by divulging their secret, artistic dreams). I'm so "everyday people" that seeing me follow my muse determinedly gives them hope that they, too, can follow their own! That's really cool. It feeds my soul to know that others are recognising the need to nurture this part of themselves. Not always painting, some wish to make pottery, poetry, stories, drawings, music, clothing, I could go on and on, but the point I am trying to make is, lately, they are doing the damn thing! I don't know what is happening, but in this time of economic struggle, war, discord, people are looking to prosper, heal, and grow. More of us are looking within for the answers, and the answers are coming out of us in all sorts of forms and shapes, and sounds. It's beautiful. I think the most lovely of all is the artistic rebirth of my mother. Always an artist, she was my first art teacher. A sketch artist, singer, and creative gardener, she has had a stretch of many artless years now, and I know what that is like. It's a very dark place. For a while now she has been hinting that she wants to DO something again. Get into her art. Explore some new medium. Isn't that wonderful? I really hope she follows this desire through because she's really an amazing artist and creative being, and I KNOW she will just explode with all of her pent up artsy juice!

No comments: